Thursday, January 22, 2009

Getting More Bang for the Buck at Work

Part of my duties at work are making sure we have small gifts ready for benefactors. They give out 5 x 7 framed pictures and they love the polished cherry frames at CVS. I got a bunch the week before Mom died, but needed to finish up that task.



I went to a particular store that I knew tended to stock more (6, instead of up to 4 at other stores). I also had the $10/$50 coupon that was going to expire soon, but I didn't have time to think of another scenario.

The frames are normally $7.99. Most of CVS's sales on these frames are B1G1 50%. This week's is just a flat 25% off, which works better if you're seeking an odd # of frames.

I found 6 in various places in the frames section of the store. That would bring it up to $35.94. Since we're non-profit, we're also tax-exempt.

But that coupon was burning, YKWIM?

I had the $5/2 Duracell tearpad coupon, so got 2, 2-pack of C batteries. I had a $1 coupon for Divine cookies, so got a box. Then I got the 2/$5 Kellogg cereal deal (I left my other coupons back in the office, drat!). Live and learn.

So ...

6 5x7 frames $35.94
2 Kellogg cereal $5
2 Duracell batteries $5.98
1 Divine cookies $3.49

$50.41 :-)

-$10/$50 coupon
-$5 Duracell coupon (cashier wouldn't let me double up with a $1 P&G coupon I had)
-$1 Divine cookie CRT

= $34.41 OOP

The food went to the non-profit. I explained it to the house manager when I gave him the food. He was happy.

So, couponing is not only helping me, it is helping my non-profit to "buy" free stuff creatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment